Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hodesh ELUL Tov - and a new look...

As Elul has begun, I thought i would return to the blogosphere and while I was at it, give a new fresh look for the upcoming 5771.

Mara (+) and I are currently in Chicago visiting family and friends which is always a good time to take a break eat tons of my former favorites, get in touch with our inner-consumer and do some reflecting.

1. Despite missing family and friends, I'm glad I live in Israel. This week most of our conversations surrounded pregnancy and everything that has to do with that. Few conversations were about anything having to do with the situation of world Jewry or Israel. What can ya do? Most people were interested in our own lives, basically the big three: Baby, renovation, job. That's life.
It is hard being away and trying to keep up on the news. It's like this distant hobby that one has. An obsessive interest in something that has no affect on our direct lives, but for some reason some of us care about it nonetheless.

2. It's sometimes hard to be an optimist when I read headlines such as this: Hamas, 10 other groups reject all forms of compromise with Israel.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait it out.


3. Look out for an upcoming missive on the state of tfilah in the North American Reform Youth movements.

1 comment:

Christiane said...

The question of awareness is an important one, I agree. And the lack thereof frustrates me to no end. However, I don't think everyone in Israel worries or even thinks about the future of the Israeli state all that much. Also, I firmly believe peace starts with each individual, even though in general, I think it'll be decisive for this planet's future whether we'll be able to change global political discourse from ego-(state-)centric views and old-fashioned political concepts towards new, more capable models and stances.
And, of course, I hope both "the belly" and "the house" are doing fine ;-).