Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tisha B'Av in Bangkok

Except for the myriad of Israelis here, I have rarely felt more in חו"ל. Bangkok. Polluted, smelly, humid and kinda gross, yet not a bad place to spend 9 B'Av.
On a morning jog through the crowded streets and narrow sidewalk alleys of Bangkok's numerous rotted wood shanty-towns which pop up off many main avenues, I decided that this year Tisha B'Av would mean a whole lot more.

So I had my pre-fast seudah of Pad Thai, curry and banana shake and made my way to Chabad.
It was interesting to see which Israelis observed this day or mourning, and for the many for whom it did not make an appearance on their calendar or consciousness. I listened to megilat Eicha chanted by the Chabad Rabbi, and stuck around for the text study.
He taught the stoires of Kamtza-Bar Kamtza, and of Yochanan Be Zakai asking for Yavneh, famous stories that I knew well, which was nice to read them again tonight from Masechet Gittin.
During the power point virtual tour of the Beit HaMikdash I found myself explaining things to some Israeli guys, and then being asked to explain to the whole group. Few of the Israelis (including the Chabadnikim and Rabbi) had a strong grasp of the Jewish History timeline. My personal highlight was demonstrating how the stones of the Beit HaMikdash were rolled in to place, using three of the Rabbi's daughters as props for this well known Southern Wall schtick.

I usually fast on this day in Israel, yet being outside of Israel makes it all the more relevant for me. On a day when the outside surroundings feel so foreign, it's nice to sit, fast, do some internet and reflect on my relationship to my country from afar.

In reflecting, I came across this article, which I think is important.
In a personal op-ed, Nadav Shragai opines here:
Why I will visit the Temple Mount on Tisha B'av on the importance of national narrative. In times when the Jewish identity of the state is called into question, I think it is quite important to connect to this day.

In a few hours I will break my fast and leave Bangkok. I will board a 16 hour bus back to Krabi to have a go at climbing on the exquisite limestone. We'll see how I do, and will be sure to update again soon.

No comments: