Friday, August 28, 2009

Bye Bye Bangkok...

I've had enough. I returned to the polluted streets of sin city for a three day stint to close out my time in Thailand. Basically running errands, internet and last minute shopping were on my agenda.

Coming from the sun soaked beach and tropics of Krabi, Bangkok was a complete buzz kill.

~Highlights~

1. "Whoever has not seen the Chatuhcak (JJ) weekend market - is as if he has never seen a market in all of his days" (to paraphrase Talmudic descriptive phraseology). It really is simply baffling. A massive concacetation of stalls and shops selling anything from used 1988 Air Jordans to kitchen utensils to everything you can only imagine and don't need. I, of course, did some damage. Bargaining led to fatigue, and my worn out wit resorted to deciding on price and just handing over the sweaty bills while taking the merchandise. As I am sure you can imagine many a "this-is-really-cool-in-Thailand-but-nowhere-else" purchase transpired.

2. Chabad. Yes, they made it to #2 on the highlight list - and not only for the free internet drinking water and leftovers. Shabbat at Chabad Bangkok is an experience. I made it for Kabbalat Shabbat and then for dinner. Chabad dinners are all the same, yet the unpredictable hiddush here was "round II." The faithful core who didn't escape to the night market or nightlife post-Birkat Hamazon, were all invited to the Rabbi's quarters (think, East Wing, White House) for another Four Course Meal! Yep, that's right. With Red Label for toasting, I joined the ranks of Chabad's inner circle. This Orthodox backpacker secret society told stories, belted out niggunim, and gave (largely pointless) divrei Torah. Needless to say, an impressive operation.

3. "It's my last night, I'm a rock star!"
"Well, why not," I said to myself, as I sat for a while at an outdoor cafe/bar one block from the bustling and drunken thoroughfare of Khao San Rd. I had been listening to the live performer do justice to many a classic rock and pop hit, as he began to pluck out the opening rift of "Wish You Were Here."
"You know, anyone can jam with him," explained Duncan, a Canadian law student studying in Hong Kong. "Really," I asked hesitatingly. And with that I grabbed the spare guitar, plugged in, and jammed for the ext half hour, covering Pink Floyd, blues (E. Clapton), and my rendition of [my standard repertoire] "Tangled Up in Blue". Sadly, no one caught me on film or photo, so you'll just have to take my word for it. It was great fun, and the crowd of inebriated and musically noviced tourists boosted my ego and satisfied a lone tourist on his final hoorah.



I have reached the capital of the Western World - New York City, and have enjoyed so far, early morning jogs in Central Park (sorry, Dani and Sylvia - I'll where a shirt next time). Mexican Food, Indian Food, Ice Aroma, Upper East Side Houmous (should be an entry all to itself), good Italian wine and Bruschetta, Pizza, and diner style free re-fill coffee.

Dani and Sylvia have been the hosts with the most, and I will write more after Ben and Elizabeth's wedding!

No comments: