Monday, August 17, 2009

Deep Water Soloing

Nothing gives a rush more than climbing up the face of a cliff - just you and the rock, no ropes harness, or belay - and then jumping off! The 15 meter fall off the cliff landed me in a forceful thrust deep down in the ocean. The human mind is indeed an interesting thing. For the past few weeks I have been training myself that despite ropes and belayers, I want to do everything in my power to NOT fall. I hang, suspend, even dangle from the rock but really make a concerted effort to not fall. Now I'm standing on an edge over looking the glimmering sea, the rest of the days group in a long-tail boat watching and cheering me on. I go to jump... and, nothing! I had locked my arm to an undercling, and it wouldn't let me go. My mind just wouldn't let me throw myself of the wall. Finally after some coaxing and unecessary build-up I launched out into the great abyss. Absoutely the greatest thrill. I swam over to the boat and relished in my minor accomplishment.

The afternoon showed us crystal clear waters stretching across beautiful white sands, and some more slightly more challenging climbing. I was one of the few to make it up a dangling rope ladder and then climb up a giant protruding tufa.

All in all, one of the best experiences I've had here, and one I definitely recommend.
I loved it so much in fact that today we (myself, Tara, Mike an Kristen) rented Kayaks and paddled out to the same area. The rope was still dangling so Mike nd I climbed up and took some head-first dives off the rock! Incredible.
I have only two more days of climbing here in Ton Sai, and will spend them trying to comfortably lead 6b (5.10d) level climbs. Then off to Bangkok and New York City!

Sawasdee Kap!

No comments: